Previous (more recent) messageNext (less recent) messagePrevious (more recent) in topicNext (less recent) in topicPrevious (more recent) by same authorNext (less recent) by same authorPrevious page (July 2008)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 9 Jul 2008 10:55:10 -0700
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         jimjohn <azam.khan@utoronto.ca>
Subject:      Re: Remove ID's with missing month end data

Thanks. I hadn't heard of a Do if block before, but I will look it up in previous postings. I'm still confused how I would compare the current ID to the previuos ID though. I tried to lag the ID but since it is a string, the lag function doesn't work. Is there any way to lag a string variable? Then, I could compare the ID with the lagged ID and that would tell me if the current ID equals the previous.

Gene Maguin wrote: > > JimJohn, > > Yes, that's right. The difference is only valid when it is computed on > cases > having the same id. So, how to fix that up? Suppose you embedded the lag > computation in a Do if block that was executed only if the current record > and the immediately preceding record had the same id value. This maneuver > is > pretty common so I'm sure you have seen it used in previous postings > > Gene Maguin > > ===================== > To manage your subscription to SPSSX-L, send a message to > LISTSERV@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU (not to SPSSX-L), with no body text except the > command. To leave the list, send the command > SIGNOFF SPSSX-L > For a list of commands to manage subscriptions, send the command > INFO REFCARD > >