Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2008, week 1)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 4 Jul 2008 10:29:24 +0530
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Praveen <ipkrishna@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Combining categories and estimating Odds Ratio

Hi Listers,

I am faced with problem where I have the customer survey responses. I am trying to build up an ordinal logistic regression with the 11-point ordered categories in response variable. Upto this point it works out fine. Now I want to compare few clubbed categories, i.e.,

New Category "A" = 1,2,3,4,5 combined from original 11-point responses New Category "B"=6,7,8,9 combined from original 11-point responses New Category "C"=10,11 combined from original 11-point responses

I did it using running three different logistic regression comparing (A,B), (B,C) & (A,C) and got the estimates of odds ratio for each combination which was making a lot of sense to me.

But other guys in my group said clubbing the categories is not a good idea as it results in loss of information, I completely agree with them. But the problem is with the technique. None of us know how to get to different estimates of odds ratios for different combinations mentioned above. I know we can compute individual probabilities on each observations using ordinal logistic regression, but I am interested in odds ratio which are different/relevant for clubbed categories.

It would really help me if someone can guide me through getting my 'desired' result by using OLR on 11-point dependent variable.

-- Regards, Praveen Krishna

--- All measurements are subject to variation.