Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2008, week 1)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 2 Jul 2008 04:08:25 +0000
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         toby dunn <tobydunn@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Null values in arrays
Comments: To: KJ <krutic@gmail.com>

KJ ,

Tedious yes I agree manually writting all those if statements would be tedious to say the least. Inefficient is something that needs to be discussed. What amazes me is you talk about efficiency but have restructured your data in one of if not the most ineeficient structures for SAS to process. If one were too look under the hood of SAS, if you will, one would see that SAS's underling code prefers normalized data structures. But that is if we are talking about program speed, which should be more often than not the last thing you think about unless you work with data that has to be talked about in the Billions of observations. Speed in programming was a big deal when computers used vaccum bulbs and one wrote code on punch cards. Id prefer not to deal with call poke and peek as Poke in unitiated hands has the propensity to cause more problems than not. Knowing Paul well I would have no problem with him using it, but I dont let my programmers in my shop use it for safety reasons.

Here is the simple form of Pauls code using a simple do loop:

data miss ; input ID sva_1 - sva_9 ; cards ; 101 1 2 2 3 4 6 8 9 10 102 2 3 4 4 4 6 . . . 103 3 . . . . . . . . run ;

Data Need ( Drop = I ) ; Set Miss ; Array SVA ( * ) SVA_: ;

Do I = 1 To Dim( SVA ) ; If ( Missing( SVA( I ) ) ) Then SVA( I ) = 0 ; End ;

Run ;

Toby Dunn

"Don't bail. The best gold is at the bottom of barrels of crap." Randy Pausch

"Be prepared. Luck is where preparation meets opportunity." Randy Pausch

_________________________________________________________________ Making the world a better place one message at a time. http://www.imtalkathon.com/?source=EML_WLH_Talkathon_BetterPlace