Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2008, week 1)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 2 Jul 2008 23:57:54 -0700
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         RolandRB <rolandberry@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      "SAS to R to SAS" by Phil Holland
Comments: To: sas-l@uga.edu

Here is a good paper entitled "SAS to R to SAS" by Phil Holland.

http://www.hollandnumerics.co.uk/pdf/SAS2R2SAS_paper.pdf

It is a good marriage of SAS and R that I think is an ideal jumping off point for the use of R alongside SAS in the pharmaceutical industry. The more I read, the less I think that SAS is going to "go away" for the purposes of clinical reporting and be replaced by R. R currently can't handle large volumes of data such as lab data. SAS can. So with SAS staying around then it is likely that all data manipulation will be done using SAS. So that's us SAS programmers who do clinical reporting still safe in our jobs..........

......However, I do see R being used alongside SAS. The ideal situation is to call R from a SAS program that does all the data manipulation, to run the R code using a system call and to incorporate the R log output into the SAS log output. This is the best of both worlds since this way data of any volume can be easily manipulated, we can use routines or special statistical analysis in R where needed and/ or produce its famous "superior graphics" that can be incorporated into output and have both the SAS and R logs in the same file where it can be scanned for errors, warnings and important notes.

Phil's paper is a good jumping off point, as I said. I wouldn't have done things quite that way and for us SAS programmers, a lot more detail would be helpful. I hope to create some pages on my web site sometime that goes into this in a lot of detail so that clinical sas programmers can comfortably make the transition across into incorporating R code in their SAS programs.