Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2008, week 2)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 8 Jul 2008 06:26:55 -0500
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         "data _null_," <datanull@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: how to enter a dot in a dataset?
Comments: To: n <nikhil.abhyankar@gmail.com>

Some of the informats read the DOT as a missing value and convert it to blank. This facilitates reading character data with "list input". You probably need the $CHAR informat which does not convert . to blank.

461 data _Null_; 462 input 463 @1 a $1. 464 @1 b $f1. 465 @1 c $char1. 466 @1 d $revers1. 467 @1 e $upcase1. 468 ; 469 put 'NOTE: ' (_all_)(=); 470 list; 471 cards;

NOTE: a= b= c=. d=. e=. RULE: ----+----1 472 . 473 ;;;; 474 run;

On 7/8/08, n <nikhil.abhyankar@gmail.com> wrote: > hi all; > > I am a novice at SAS and need your help. > > I need to create a variable caontaing punctuation marks like, . > (period), ,(comma), '(apostrophe) and their combinations like, ".," > etc. > > I dont seem to be able to enter some of them, notably the period. > > Is there any way I can do it? > > Please help. > > Thanks and regards >