Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2008, week 3)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 18 Jul 2008 06:24:14 -0500
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         "data _null_," <datanull@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Change all fields within a dataset to char
Comments: To: Satya <kondal4uall@gmail.com>

This requires at least one character in the data set to get the conversion. If you don't have that. use a view to create a dummy.

data view / view=view; set sashelp.class; retain dummy ' '; run;

Then drop dummy when the opportunity arises.

On 7/18/08, data _null_, <datanull@gmail.com> wrote: > Best is subjective. > > proc transpose data=sashelp.class; > var _all_; > run; > proc transpose out=characterClass(drop=_name_); > var col:; > run; > proc contents varnum; > run; > proc print; > run; > > On 7/18/08, Satya <kondal4uall@gmail.com> wrote: > > I have imported a dataset from a sql database. > > I now want to change all fields within the dataset to char. > > What is the best method of doing this. > > >