Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2008, week 5)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Tue, 29 Jul 2008 08:47:42 -0400
Sender:   "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:   Muthia Kachirayan <muthia.kachirayan@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:   Re: addressing the data column as an "Array"

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 7:15 AM, kunal <kunal.krishnan@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone!! > > I am trying to automate the multiplicative model(a double log model). > I have managed to do a bit of automation by using merge statements. > > The process can be significantly automated if we can use the column as > an array. > > For eg: > > Marks > 55 > 63 > 75 > 34 > 88 > 93 > > Marks is the column name and the values listed are the row values. Can > i know access column values as an array value such that a[0] = 55 , > a[1] = 63 and so on.?? > > can any1 gime me any pointers or code for doing this > ?? > > Thanks > Kunal >

Kunal,

You can have it. In one pass of dataset (within a datastep) you can load the values(Marks) into a TEMPORARY array say:

array a[NUM] _temporary_;

NUM is the number of Distinct values of Marks.

In the next Pass, within the same datastep, you can use a[1], a[2] ... a[NUM].

If you want to use a[0] to a[NUM] then declare the array (having NUM + 1 elements) as:

array a[0:NUM] _temporary_ ;

If you show some small example dataset then someone will show you the way to go with temporary array.

Muthia Kachirayan