Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2008)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 8 Aug 2008 11:58:28 -0400
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Richard Ristow <wrristow@mindspring.com>
Subject:      Re: Extracting data using SPSS
Comments: To: Genevieve Thompson <gthompson@oanhss.org>

At 09:22 AM 8/8/2008, Genevieve Thompson wrote:

>I am trying to extract data from an ODBC Database using SPSS. I >started by opening a new database, selecting the ODBC Data source >and selecting the needed variables. When I try to retrieve the data >I'm looking for, the Data view tab only shows the list of variables >I selected. The data fields are not populated.

Could it be as simple as that the command has been executed, but has not yet carried out the data retrieval?

SPSS's is 'lazy' in data retrieval (and running transformations). That is, it doesn't carry out the operation until the results are 'needed', which means a procedure command or a SAVE. It can do a lot for efficiency, but it can be confusing if you're running interactively.

Try selecting menu

Transforms > Run Pending Transforms

More: 1. 'Run Pending Transformations' runs an EXECUTE; EXECUTE is a procedure. This is probably what gave the widespread (inaccurate) impression that you must run EXECUTE for the results of transformations to be available. (You must run a procedure for the results to be *visible*, but that's different.) 2. It's often wise to run CACHE after an ODBC retrieval, or other retrieval that may take a lot of resources.

-Good luck to you, Richard