Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2008, week 1)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 6 Aug 2008 15:01:51 -0400
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Bucher Scott <SBucher@SCHOOLS.NYC.GOV>
Subject:      Putting a long string to an Outlook file

Hi,

I am trying to put a long string, which is being directed to an e-mail file in outlook. At about the 250th character I, it seems that a line break is being inserted; although sometimes the break is only visible when I view it on my Blackberry. In this particular example, the break is occurring right after "His" in "His father and mother". This problems occurs with a number of strings at the approximately the same position. I have tried breaking this into multiple put statements, etc. but it is not working out the way I like.

Data _null_; put "Tolstoy's childhood was spent between Moscow and Yasnaya Polyana, in a family of three brothers and a sister. He lost his mother when he was two, and his father when he was nine. His subsequent education was in the hands of his aunt, Madame Ergolsky. (His father and mother are respectively the starting points for the characters of Nicholas Rostov and Princess Marya in War and Peace.) In 1844, Tolstoy began studying law and Oriental languages at Kazan University, where teachers described him as 'both unable and unwilling to learn.' He found no meaning in further studies and left the university in the middle of a term."; run;

I have tried to break this into two put statements, one ending with @@, but this results in the second put statement on a new line, e.g.

Put "example, example" @@; Put "example, example";

As always, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards, Scott