Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2008, week 3)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 18 Sep 2008 20:15:14 -0400
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Arthur Tabachneck <art297@NETSCAPE.NET>
Subject:      Re: Maximum # of Variables (Columns) in Dataset
Comments: To: jlee8071@GMAIL.COM

Claus,

I don't know what the maximum number of variables is on SAS 9.1.3 (it may be dependent upon ram) but, on my computer at least, yes it can handle over a million columns:

73 data have; 74 array x(1100000); 75 do i=1 to dim(x); 76 x(i)=1; 77 end; 78 output; 79 run;

NOTE: The data set WORK.HAVE has 1 observations and 1100001 variables. NOTE: DATA statement used (Total process time): real time 38.40 seconds cpu time 31.95 seconds

However, my computer froze when I attempted to raise that to 2,000,000.