Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2008, week 3)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 18 Sep 2008 13:32:00 -0400
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Jim Groeneveld <jim.1stat@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      SAS mentally disturbed

Hi friends,

I have to simple test programs: _Import_.sas ========= %LET Current = .; LIBNAME Current "&Current";

PROC IMPORT OUT = Current._Import_ DATAFILE = "&Current.\_Import_.xls" DBMS=Excel REPLACE; GETNAMES = YES; MIXED = YES; SCANTEXT = YES; USEDATE = YES; SCANTIME = YES; RUN; =========

_Export_.sas ========= %LET Current = .; LIBNAME Current "&Current";

PROC EXPORT DATA=Current._Export_ OUTFILE= "&Current.\_Export_.xls" DBMS=Excel REPLACE; RUN; =========

These programs are fine, they normally work correctly. I run the programs in batch mode. However on my laptop the _Import_.log says ========= 1 %LET Current = .; 2 LIBNAME Current "&Current"; NOTE: Libref CURRENT was successfully assigned as follows: Engine: V9 Physical Name: c:\Jim\MemStick.512\Develop\xls_test_normal 3 4 PROC IMPORT OUT = Current._Import_ 5 DATAFILE = "&Current.\_Import_.xls" 6 DBMS=Excel REPLACE; 7 GETNAMES = YES; 8 MIXED = YES; 9 SCANTEXT = YES; 2 The SAS System 15:37 Thursday, September 18, 2008

10 USEDATE = YES; 11 SCANTIME = YES; 12 RUN;

ERROR: Connect: ERROR: Connect: ERROR: Connect: ERROR: Error in the LIBNAME statement. ERROR: Error in the LIBNAME statement. ERROR: Error in the LIBNAME statement. Connection Failed. See log for details. NOTE: The SAS System stopped processing this step because of errors. NOTE: PROCEDURE IMPORT used (Total process time): real time 0.24 seconds cpu time 0.11 seconds ========= and does not generate the output file. And the _Export_.log says ========= 1 %LET Current = .; 2 LIBNAME Current "&Current"; NOTE: Libref CURRENT was successfully assigned as follows: Engine: V9 Physical Name: c:\Jim\MemStick.512\Develop\xls_test_normal 3 4 PROC EXPORT DATA=Current._Export_ 5 OUTFILE= "&Current.\_Export_.xls" 6 DBMS=Excel REPLACE; 7 RUN;

ERROR: Connect: ERROR: Connect: ERROR: Connect: ERROR: Error in the LIBNAME statement. ERROR: Error in the LIBNAME statement. ERROR: Error in the LIBNAME statement. Connection Failed. See log for details.

NOTE: The SAS System stopped processing this step because of errors. NOTE: PROCEDURE EXPORT used (Total process time): real time 1.02 seconds cpu time 0.28 seconds ========= and does neither generate the output file.

Now you have to know that in Windows Safe Mode both programs just run fine. I recently had specific new software installed that I think is suspect. Another computer doesn't have that software and runs the programs fine. I don't yet want to say which software as I am not sure whether that is the cause indeed. Has anyone of you had similar problems? How did you find out the cause and solve it? I am going to install the suspect program on the other computer too next week to see whether it is the cause indeed. The program is not a virus or the like, it is a commercial program and the interference with SAS may be accidental, unintended.

Regards - Jim. -- Jim Groeneveld, Netherlands Statistician, SAS consultant home.hccnet.nl/jim.groeneveld

My computer and I present macro Count with SPSS-like syntax at PhUSE 2008.