Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2008, week 5)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 29 Sep 2008 09:12:20 -0500
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Carl Denney <cdenney@HEALTHINFOTECHNICS.COM>
Subject:      What are your favorite utilities; suggestion for using clipboard
              fileref.

The text below is my response to SAS Tech Support regarding their reply to a question I had a while back. What I was wishing for was a way to right-click on a libref in the SAS explorer and open a Windows Explorer window. I usually keep all my documentation and load jobs in the same directory as the SAS datasets. The SAS guys didn't have a way to do exactly what I wanted, but I was able to come up with a reasonable workaround as a result.

My idea follows, and is based on the use of Turbonote, one of my "can't -live-without" utilities. It occurred to me that we probably all have great utilities we've found over the years. What is yours?

Subject: Re: [SAS 7610108677] Right click on library and open in Windows Explorer

Thanks for your follow-up. You did a great job of answering my question, and I'm glad it may be considered for inclusion in SAS at some future time.

Thanks to your suggestion of LIBNAME _ALL_ LIST, I have created a workaround.

I use a computerized sticky-note program called Turbonote ( www.turbonote.com). I have used it for probably 10 years, and we love it. It is probably the best program I've found that no one else has ever heard of. (It is pre-InstantMessage.)

I can send "pop-up" notes to other staff which instantly pop up on their screens, can email from it, etc. I can have a chat session with other staff. I can have "hot-links" in a note so that if it looks like a file, directory (folder) or internet address, I can just double click and presto, I'm there. And I can also paste information from the clipboard into a note just by pressing Alt-Shift-C.

Using your suggestion, I wrote a little snippet of code which lists all libraries to the clipboard, then I just paste that in a turbonote. Then I just have to pop up the note, scroll to that library listing and double-click on the physical path, and I'm there. The reason I have to quote the path below is that if there are blanks in the physical path, the link must be in double-quotes for the hot-link to work in turbonote.

Turbonote is also very inexpensive, even free for non-commercial use if you can live with the unobtrusive advertising. I think it starts at about $15 for a single seat. I would use it all the time even if it didn't have the inter-staff communication features.

*---+----1----+----2----+----3----+----4----+----5----+----6----+----7; proc printto log='c:\liblist.txt';run; libname _all_ list; proc printto;run;

data liblist; length libname $8 physical $80; infile 'c:\liblist.txt' scanover; input @"Libref= " libname @"Physical Name= " physical ; run; proc sort noduprec;by libname;run; ** For some reason each record is otherwise duped???;

filename _temp_ clipbrd; data _null_; set liblist; physical=quote(trim(physical)); file _temp_; put libname @20 physical; run;