Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2008, week 4)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 28 Oct 2008 09:04:38 -0400
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Jack Clark <jclark@HILLTOP.UMBC.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Calculating a New Variable based on existing variables in a
              SAS Datafile
Comments: To: Jim Groeneveld <jim.1stat@YAHOO.COM>

Akshaya,

If LAG1-LAG100 are numeric variables with a value of 1 or 0, you could use the MIN function.

newvar = min(of lag1-lag100);

Jack

Jack Clark Senior Research Analyst phone: 410-455-6256 fax: 410-455-6850 jclark@hilltop.umbc.edu

University of Maryland, Baltimore County Sondheim Hall, 3rd Floor 1000 Hilltop Circle Baltimore, MD 21250

Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail may contain information that is legally privileged and that is intended only for the use of the addressee(s) named above. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying of this e-mail, distribution, or action taken in reliance on the contents of this e-mail and/or documents attributed to this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this information in error, please notify the sender immediately by phone and delete this entire e-mail. Thank you.-----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Jim Groeneveld Sent: Tuesday, October 28, 2008 8:24 AM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: Calculating a New Variable based on existing variables in a SAS Datafile

Hi Akshaya,

An ARRAY solution:

ARRAY LagVar Lag1 -- Lag100; * if consecutive in the PDV, or Lag1 - Lag100; NewVar = 1; * initialize; DO I = 1 TO DIM(LagVar); * 100 here; IF LagVar[i] NE 1 THEN DO; NewVar = 0; LEAVE; END; DROP I; RUN;

Regards - Jim. -- Jim Groeneveld, Netherlands Statistician, SAS consultant home.hccnet.nl/jim.groeneveld