Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2008)Back to main GABO-L pageJoin or leave GABO-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 16 Nov 2008 18:49:23 -0500
Sender:       Georgia Birders Online <GABO-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Patty McLean <plm108@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Purple Finches, Pine Siskins and Winter Wrens

Kathy Miller and I birded the Johnson Ferry Unit off Riverside Drive in Cobb County this morning. It was cloudy, cold and windy, and just about the time we started to think we were crazy, a hungry Cooper's Hawk showed up and changed our minds. In all, a great morning with numerous sparrows, finches, and woodpeckers (a slam, in fact). Plus two BARRED OWLS, calling back and forth across the river around mid-morning. Here's the list:

Canada goose Mallard Turkey vulture Bald eagle (Kathy's bird/not mind) Cooper's hawk Red-shouldered hawk Red-tailed hawk (2 - they appeared to be 'flirting' with each other as they performed some impressive acrobatics in the strong winds) Rock pigeon Mourning dove BARRED OWL Belted kingfisher RED-HEADED WOODPECKER Red-bellied woodpecker Yellow-bellied sapsucker Downy woodpecker HAIRY WOODPECKER Northern Flicker Pileated woodpecker Blue jay American crow Caroline chickadee Tufted titmouse White-breasted nuthatch Brown-headed nuthatch Carolina Wwren House wren WINTER WREN (6) Golden-crowned kinglet Ruby-crowned kinglet Eastern bluebird HERMIT THRUSH American robin Northern mockingbird Brown thrasher ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLER Yellow-rumped warbler Pine warbler Eastern towhee Chipping sparrow Field sparrow Song sparrow Swamp sparrow White-throated sparrow Dark-eyed junco Northern cardinal Common grackle PURPLE FINCH House finch PINE SISKIN American goldfinch

Patty McLean Tucker GA