Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2008)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Mon, 17 Nov 2008 18:43:02 +0000
Sender:   "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:   kornbrot <d.e.kornbrot@herts.ac.uk>
Subject:   Re: Using SPSS Import Wizard to read text data
Comments:   To: SPSS Support <support@spss.com>

A general rule about SPSS 1. The newer the version the worse the import facilities 16 on the mac is absolutely dire, will not correctly import from .xslx for m any files, as it makes weird incorrect guesses Slightly better with .xls, BUT STILL canąt parse space in a variable name STILL canąt use upper & lower case, or special characters in variable names STILL canąt have string use string variable data starting with a number All the above are VERY easy to fix by a competent programmer, about 2 days work All fixed in versions of JMP & other user friendly programmes at least a decade ago. 2. The newer the version the worse the interface to the graph functions, and the fewer the options Please keep legacy graphs ­ much quicker and more flexible One just fills in x, & y axes and categroical grouoing factors for colour and pattern Also dialogues no longer permit changes to line width All that programming effort waste on making life difficult for ysuers as they slowly drag variables to axes.

Iąd really like a response from SPSS themselves on all this SPSS is to be congratulated on improved computational functionality Why is interface so appalling ­ and getting WORSE Why are so many useful graph tailoring functions disappearing from dialogue interface? SPSS please answer Best

Diana

On 17/11/2008 17:55, "SPSS Support" <support@spss.com> wrote:

> Hello, > If the .tpf was saved from an earlier SPSS version, then you will need to > recreate the format in SPSS 17. As noted in the resolution which I've pasted > below (from http://support.spss.com ), the code for creating tpf and sql files > was changed extensively in SPSS 17. > > David Matheson > SPSS Statistical Support > **************************** > > Resolution number: 79341 Created on: Aug 26 2008 Last Reviewed on: Sep 22 > 2008 > > Problem Subject: Saved tpf or spq files cannot be opened with later versions > of SPSS Statistics. > > Problem Description: I have saved a query (spq) from the Database Wizard > using SPSS 16.0.x (or earlier). I try to open my saved ODBC query in SPSS > Statistics 17.0.x. > -or- > I have saved a text file format file (tpf) from the Text Import Wizard using > SPSS 16.0.x. I try to open text using my saved TPF file. > > I get the following error the next time I try to edit the query again: > > The query file '--File Path--' could not be opened. > The file format may be incompatible with the installed version of SPSS. > > How can I fix this? > > > Resolution Subject: This problem has been reported to SPSS Development - No > Workaround Available > > Resolution Description: > Unfortunately, the code for these two functions needed to be completely > rewritten in SPSS Statistics 17.0. Due to this fact, SPSS Statistics 17.0.x > will not be able to read TPF and SPQ files created from SPSS 16 or earlier > versions. Please recreate your queries or predefined formats in SPSS 17.0. > This allows for saved queries from SPSS 17 Statistics to be opened in > subsequent releases when they occur. We apologize for the inconvenience. > > > -----Original Message----- > From: SPSSX(r) Discussion [mailto:SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of > Khaneja, Gurvinder > Sent: Monday, November 17, 2008 9:49 AM > To: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU > Subject: Re: Using SPSS Import Wizard to read text data > > Hi all, > I have started using SPSS version 17 and as routine, when I tried to read in > data from text file using the Text Import wizard (using my saved *.tpf file), > it does not go beyond step 4 . Step 5 shows a blank screen. I tried going > back to SPSS version 16 and it works. > > Am I missing something or is there a bug in the new software? Please advice. > G. Khaneja > > ===================== > To manage your subscription to SPSSX-L, send a message to > LISTSERV@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU (not to SPSSX-L), with no body text except the > command. To leave the list, send the command SIGNOFF SPSSX-L For a list of > commands to manage subscriptions, send the command INFO REFCARD > > ===================== > To manage your subscription to SPSSX-L, send a message to > LISTSERV@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU (not to SPSSX-L), with no body text except the > command. To leave the list, send the command > SIGNOFF SPSSX-L > For a list of commands to manage subscriptions, send the command > INFO REFCARD

Professor Diana Kornbrot School of Psychology University of Hertfordshire College Lane, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL10 9AB, UK

email:  d.e.kornbrot@herts.ac.uk web: http://web.mac.com/kornbrot/iweb/KornbrotHome.html voice: +44 (0) 170 728 4626 fax: +44 (0) 170 728 5073 Home 19 Elmhurst Avenue London N2 0LT, UK voice: +44 (0) 208 883 3657 mobile: +44 (0) 796 890 2102 fax: +44 (0) 870 706 4997