Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2008, week 3)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 18 Nov 2008 16:05:06 -0800
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         karma <dorjetarap@GOOGLEMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: data manipulation
Comments: To: sas-l@uga.edu

On Nov 18, 11:10 pm, hd <heen...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hello, > > My question is if I have a data set that looks like this > > Var Set > a 1 > b > c > d 2 > e > f > g > h 3 > i > > and I would like it to like this > > Var Set > a 1 > b 1 > c 1 > d 2 > e 2 > f 2 > g 2 > h 3 > i 3 > > In other words I want to just duplicate the entries until I reach an > entry in the Set column and then want to duplicate that. I am not sure > how I can do this, any help will be greatly appreciated. > > Thank you!

Hi,

Here I assign the non-missing value of set to a temporary variable and then use retain - which tells SAS not to reinitialize the variable - and then assign the variable back to set for the missing values.

data have; infile cards missover; input var$ set; cards; a 1 b c d 2 e f g h 3 i ;run; proc print;run; data want(drop=_:); set have; retain _x; if ^missing(set) then _x = set; else set = _x; run; proc print;run;

Alternatively you can take advantage of the drop executing before the rename dataset option and avoid the second assignments:

data want(drop=set rename=(_x=set)); set have; retain _x; if ^missing(set) then _x = set; run; proc print;run;