Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2008)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 31 Dec 2008 10:56:08 -0500
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Gene Maguin <emaguin@buffalo.edu>
Subject:      Re: cases to vars

Keval,

Maybe I am missing something but I can't see how one of your syntax statements will work correctly given the prior statement. See below for details.

In response to your specific question, I don't think there is an syntax solution for this. (I suspect that using either script or python you could inspect the dictionary and count the number of times 'association' is listed. I can't do this. Somebody else can comment.) Instead, I think you have to determine this number interactively. That said, there are a number of methods for doing so. A frequencies of ID will show the number of records for each id. You could aggregate by id to get a case count that is added to the current dataset (mode=addvariables) and do a frequencies on that variable. After the casestovars is completed, you can look at the dictionary and see how many association variables there are. Lastly, I think the Casestovars command may report something about this but I am not sure. Once you know that number, you could use the Numeric command to create additional variables so that your rename and select if statements are constants. (Again, I'll bet that either script or python could be used to 'fix up' dataset after the casestovars to have a constant number of association variables. However, you still have the problem of deciding on a max number. Again, somebody that knows script or python can comment.)

Gene Maguin

ID ASSOCIATION 1 Basketball 1 Soccer

When i use the cases to vars procedure I get the outut below: casestovars /id = id/groupby = variable.

ID Association.1 Association.2 1 Basketball Soccer

I then use the following syntax:

rename variables (asssociation.1 = sport1) (association.2 = sport2)

select if (any(association.1, 'Basketball', 'Soccer', 'Golf', 'Lacrosse', 'Softball', 'Volleyball', 'Tennis') | any(association.2, 'Basketball', 'Soccer', 'Golf', 'Lacrosse', 'Softball', 'Volleyball', 'Tennis')).

**** This is the problem. Following the rename command, the variables Association.1 and Association.2 no longer exist. So, the select if statement should be giving an error. By the way, why not so the rename prior to the casestovars.

I am running a syntax file for different school terms and in some term the number of associations may be greater than 2.

Is there any way I can adjust the syntax (specifically, the rename and select statements) to take into account how many associations there are?

Thanks,

Keval