Previous (more recent) messageNext (less recent) messagePrevious (more recent) in topicNext (less recent) in topicPrevious (more recent) by same authorNext (less recent) by same authorPrevious page (December 2008)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 3 Dec 2008 10:08:13 -0500
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Gene Maguin <emaguin@buffalo.edu>
Subject:      Re: data type

Resha,

What you do depends how you plan analyze the data and what your needs are for their presentation. In any event, I'd recode your data to numbers to give yourself more analytical flexibility. If your audience expects to see GPAs, then you need 'continuous' data type analyses. If the interest is in letter grade distribution, then categorical type analyses. But underlying those two comments, do you think that the increment in subject competency/knowledge as you move from F to D to C to B to A is constant? I don't. Do you think that a C indicates half the subject competency/knowledge as an A? I don't. But, the assumption is a useful fiction.

Gene Maguin