Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2009, week 3)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 20 Jan 2009 14:39:54 -0500
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Kevin Viel <citam.sasl@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Create dataset in certain order without having to sort?

On Tue, 20 Jan 2009 11:18:42 -0500, Ya Huang <ya.huang@AMYLIN.COM> wrote:

>I was thinking down the same road (meaning use point), except I couldn't >make it work. It is interesting that your code actually work for this >particular case. I still don't quite get how the point var is updated >though.

The programmer would have to update it. I could see this working for trivial cases, but too many problems would arise beyond them. Instead of POINT, one might use KEY. However, it seems to defeat the unstated point of one "step" (no sort).

>Unfortunately, it won't work for my real situation, when the numbers >of observation in x1 and x2 are not necessay the same.

...or even the situation when the positional correspondence is a mismatch, i.e. observation 2 in dataset 2 is a new value but still matches observation 1 n dataset 1. It could be done, but would require some coding....

HTH,

Kevin