Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2009, week 4)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 28 Jan 2009 13:21:40 -0800
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         RYan <donnelly.ryan.m@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Using and external file as a lookup table to update values in a
              SAS dataset
Comments: To: sas-l@uga.edu

Hello L'ers,

I'm trying to update some location IDs and I want to avoid entering a whole lot of if then, else statements. I have an external fixed length file that has exisiting values and their coorisponding updated values. I want to use this file as a look up table so when SAS loops through the values it can refer to the outside file to see if the value should be updated. I was thinking about using the %include statement but I'm unsure exactly how to work this into my program. Mind you, the external file is just a bunch of character values with no column headings or code.

I'm open to any approach that limits the amount of manual entry. Ideally I'd like something that I can reuse year to year.

Thanks again for all the help this group has already provided.

Cheers, Ryan