Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2009, week 4)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 25 Jan 2009 19:20:21 +0000
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Paul Dorfman <sashole@BELLSOUTH.NET>
Subject:      Re: Regex - Seven of Nine Matching
Comments: To: Savian <savian.net@GMAIL.COM>

Alan,

But why... a Levenshtein implementation is already available via complev() function, and if that is not enough, there is always compged() augmented with call compcost() giving a much wider latitude in distance editing. Regardless, it appears that any of these are way too expensive for Don's purposes, forthey invariably have to examine all 9 characters, and then perform rather heavy computations. Comparing the corresponding digits and applying as much logical short-circuiting as much as possible (including that dictated by intimate data knowledge) is better equipped to deal with (unavoidable?) Cartesian product nature of the problem. I am using the question mark in the parentheses deliberately... for I have not fully proven to myself yet that no method to avoid comparing all to all exists.

Kind regards ------------ Paul Dorfman Jax, FL ------------