Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2009, week 1)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 2 Mar 2009 13:07:05 -0800
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         sej.in.md@GMAIL.COM
Subject:      Re: PROC GLIMMIX: 2 questions: blocks, and covariance matrices
Comments: To: sas-l@uga.edu

On Mar 2, 2:29 pm, rh...@UNMC.EDU (Robin R High) wrote: > SJ > > A couple of important questions: > > Why are there so many 0s? a few 1's ? and only a scattered few "counts" > > 1? and is this your complete dataset or just a sample? > > Keep in mind that an important concept in statistics is the "study of > variation" .. even for counts (unless your data is more binary in > reality). > > Robin High > UNMC > This is in fact the complete dataset. What I'm looking at is the appearance of alternative male reproductive types in termite colonies after the king is removed: mrs ("male reproductive soldier") and mn ("male neotenic"). [fn is "female neotenic" which show up unexpectedly from time to time]. So sometimes neither show up, usually just one or the other, and sometimes both or multiples of one type. This is why there are a lot of "0"s. Even though mrs appears binary here, it is not naturally binary--I've seen colonies with 2 or 3 of these guys--though these are rare. This is why I chose a poisson distribution for the response count. My goal was to see if 1 of the 2 treatments resulted in more mrs appearing, and the same for the mn. Sorry for not supplying all the pertinent info at the outset.

-SJ.