Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2009, week 3)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 19 Mar 2009 18:10:48 -0400
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         oloolo <dynamicpanel@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: SAS/Windows CPU Utilization does not increase beyond 50%

Hi, there set: options threads=YES CPUCOUNT=2 (or whatever you have available upto 1024)

PROC SORT will then use multi-core multi-threads in sorting

but be awares that even so, you may not observe >50% CPU utilization due to the fact that most of the time is wasted on I/O, so if you have a poor disk system, the computer may wait for I/O output and then you won't see a >50% utilization.

To test whether these threads= options works on your system, try sorting the same big file with either: options threads=NO & options threads=YES there will be some difference even if your disk I/O speed is low.