Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2009, week 1)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 3 Apr 2009 00:38:35 +0800
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Alex Murphy <goladin@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: SCL/AF
Comments: To: Savian <savian.net@gmail.com>

Well, I am writing quite a lot of codes in SAS/AF for applications. However, I am in the midst of converting them into html or javascript for other users to use. The usefulness of SAS/AF is quite limited. They have few improvements for a long time and the world of application has moved ahead of SAS/AF.

Regards, Murphy

On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 12:32 AM, Savian <savian.net@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Apr 2, 9:36 am, d...@SCOCCA.ORG (Dave Scocca) wrote: > > --On 4/2/2009 8:27 AM -0700 Savian wrote: > > > > > I don't think SAS is investing in it or encouraging its use. Can > > > someone tell me what was discussed regarding AF at SGF? > > > > At least one SAS-presented paper, Myron Chandler's "Maximum SAS: > Analyzing > > and Increasing Performance," was entirely about SCL/AF performance > tuning. > > It was clear from that paper/presentation that SAS makes heavy use of SCL > > and AF internally. > > > > In addition, I believe many features of the SAS interactive application > > itself are developed in AF/SCL. > > > > (I have also seen SAS presentations in recent years making it clear that > > non-visual SCL is used to develop object-oriented code to run on a > > SAS-based application server.) > > > > Dave Scocca > > Dave, > > My question is one of new development, not existing infrastructure. > Existing AF within SAS is there but are they developing new tools > using it. > > At the end of the day, I don't care so much if people use Perl, SCL, > VB.NET, Java, .NET. My main concern is to get developers out of a > comfort zone. It hurts the SAS language long-term, IMO. > > New features in languages force rethinking on how to do a given > problem. For example, C# 4.0 will now support more dynamic features > due to pressure from Python developers who insisted on more dynamic > syntax. The ease of use of Excel using .NET should put pressure on SAS > to better support Office. New technologies such as SQL and XML have > been positive for SAS as has the move toward REST and SOAP services > and these pressures came from other languages/initiatives. When SAS > developers move out of their comfort zones, it adds a collective 'why > can't we?' to the drumbeat for new SAS features. > > As long as people are comfortable with DDE and proc export, there will > be no reason for changes in the language. Long term, this can be > detrimental to SAS, the language, because newer programmers won't use > it. > > Alan > Savian >

-- Regards, Murphy Choy

Certified Advanced Programmer for SAS V9 Certified Basic Programmer for SAS V9 DataShaping Certified SAS Professional