Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2009, week 1)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 4 Apr 2009 11:13:43 -0700
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Jack Hamilton <jfh@STANFORDALUMNI.ORG>
Subject:      Re: SCL/AF
Comments: To: Savian <savian.net@GMAIL.COM>

On Apr 4, 2009, at 9:11 am, Savian wrote:

> The SAS/ACCESS to PC Files product provides read/write access to > binary Excel workbooks on Linux and UNIX platforms via the "PC File > Server": > > Availability of the Import/Export Wizards and Procedures > http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/acpcref/61891/HTML/default/a003094743.htm#a002597415 > > This is only access to data, not marked up procedure output.

It seems that I'm unsuccessful at conveying the idea that I don't want Windows involved in the creation of the document.

"If you are running SAS on UNIX, Linux, or 64-bit Windows system, you must use the PCFILES LIBNAME engine and also have the SAS PC Files Server installed and running on a 32- bit Windows system." <http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/acpcref/61891/HTML/default/a003293791.htm >

And that doesn't even mention the possibility of creation on a z/OS platform.

(FWIW, my current employer has licensed all the products needed to do this, but has decided against installing a Windows server - this is not just a theoretical problem to me.)

> An Open Office file is a ZIP archive full of XML files. So it is > binary, but not in the sense of the old Microsoft Excel XLS files. > Microsoft has followed suit, and the default file format for Office > 2007 is a ZIP archive full of XML files. Yes, you can save an Excel > file in the old binary format, but you will lose any functionality > that is not available in the earlier version of Excel. It is > pointless do to any further development based on the old, binary > format.

I'm not asking for an OpenOffice file, I'm asking for the ability to control OpenOffice.org from SAS in a straightforward fashion. What file formats are supported would be controlled by OpenOffice.org, not by SAS. OO.o can write native format Excel 5, 95, 97, 2000, and XP.

It is a problem that OO.o doesn't support Excel 2007 (and its increased number of rows), but I suspect that it will happen someday.

> R&D efforts to create a Flash-based version of Enterprise Guide are > underway. If it becomes a product, it will work cross platform, with > whatever limitations are imposed by Flash/Web browser.

Interesting idea.