Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2009)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 22 May 2009 08:13:11 -0500
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         "Peck, Jon" <peck@spss.com>
Subject:      Re: OMS syntax for saving all logs as single .txt file
Comments: To: Ruben van den Berg <ruben_van_den_berg@hotmail.com>

There are several ways to go about tracking all your syntax and detecting errors.

To have OMS capture and save all the logs, start with

oms select logs, e.g.,

/DESTINATION OUTFILE ="c:/temp/mylog.txt" format=text.

and include an OMSEND command at the end.

If you have other OMS commands within the syntax, you will need to use the /TAG subcommand to name those requests and use OMSEND TAG=... in order that the outer OMS command continues to be active.

If you have journaling on, you already have a file containing the cumulative or job-specific syntax with error messages.

If you want to interrupt a job if an error occurs (severity 3 or higher), turn the job into a trivial Python program, which will then raise an exception and stop on error.

It is easy to turn any block of syntax into a program.

begin program.

import spss

spss.Submit(r"""

<all your syntax>

""")

end program.

And, with v17, you will get the error pane in the syntax editor if any error messages are generated.

HTH,

Jon Peck

From: SPSSX(r) Discussion [mailto:SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Ruben van den Berg Sent: Friday, May 22, 2009 12:33 AM To: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: [SPSSX-L] OMS syntax for saving all logs as single .txt file

Dear all, I'm working on a syntax file that includes some other syntax files. The result is that hundreds of lines of syntax are run in one go. However, since the number of syntax lines is so huge, I have to doubleclick and scroll down the log in the viewer in order to detect error messages. I was wondering whether it could be more efficient if my (single) master syntax would start with an OMS command that asks all log messages to be written as a .txt file in my working directory and ending the master (after all INCLUDE and INSERT FILE commands) syntax with OMSEND. Then all errors and warnings will be saved in a file external to the viewer in which I can use CTRL + F in order to find any error messages or warnings. Also, even after a year I'll be still able to verify that the syntax ran well. Does anyone know what the required OMS command should look like? I tried 'Utilities -> OMS control panel' but the 'paste' button stayed grey :-( Is this a good idea or am I overlooking anything? Lots of thx in advance and a nice, sunny weekend to everyone! Ruben van den Berg

Express yourself instantly with MSN Messenger! MSN Messenger <http://clk.atdmt.com/AVE/go/onm00200471ave/direct/01/>

[text/html]