Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2009, week 2)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 14 May 2009 20:39:41 -0500
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Joe Matise <snoopy369@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Text Manipulation
Comments: To: saurabh <saurabhkdas@gmail.com>

Ya's solution is a simple one. You could also use either the ANYALPHA or the ANYDIGIT function to identify strings that contain no alphabetic characters:

if not anyalpha(name) then name='OTHER';

or if anydigit(name) ...

depending on if you want it to only return OTHER if all chars are not alphabetic characters, or if one of the characters is a digit.

-Joe