Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2009, week 4)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 27 May 2009 10:03:11 -0700
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Adam <news@SNOWSTONE.ORG.UK>
Subject:      index(), vname() and a macro variable
Comments: To: sas-l@uga.edu

Hi All,

I'm trying to identify if a variable name is present in a macro variable.

For instance, if a macro variable contains "list of possible variable names" and one of the variables in a dataset is called "possible" then I want to be able to tell.

I had hoped that something like this psuedo-code would work:

%let macro_var = list of possible variable names; data _null_; set indataset; array allvars _numeric_; do i = 1 to dim(allvars); if index("&problem_vars.", vname(allvars{i})) then /* variable name is present in list */ run;

but no matter what I do (including trying out %index, though I'm not sure where the difference is), I can't get the if condition to work (it just evaluates to 0 every time).

Any help much appreciated! Thanks, Adam