Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2009, week 4)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 22 May 2009 16:51:50 -0400
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Michael Raithel <michaelraithel@WESTAT.COM>
Subject:      Re: Hi

Dear SAS-L-ers,

Robin R High posted the following (great pre-holiday weekend) comment:

> Gerhard, > > One aspeck I discovered when running the previously 'unknown' > (to me) function of REVERSE is to first STRIP off the spaces > at the end of the variable accessed, such as: > > data a; > set sashelp.class; > last2 = reverse(substr(reverse(Strip(name)),1,2)); > put name= @15 last2=; > run; > > Robin High > UNMC > > > And some times acting "anonymous" can be an asset as in this > extract from the tales of Odysseus: > > from http://classics.mit.edu/Euripides/cyclops.html > > CYCLOPS : Nay, but thy purpose is to drink upon the sly; set > it between us. To ODYSSEUS Now tell me, stranger, by what > name to call thee. > > ODYSSEUS Noman. What boon shall I receive of thee to earn my thanks? > > CYCLOPS I will feast on thee last, after all thy comrades. > ODYSSEUS Fair indeed the honour thou bestowest on thy guest, > sir Cyclops! > > .... snip .. > > until later we read as the big O has done his deed: > > CYCLOPS bellowing in the cave : Oh! oh! my once bright eye is > burnt to cinders now. LEADER OF THE CHORUS : Sweet indeed the > triumph-song; pray sing it to us, Cyclops. CYCLOPS from > within : Oh! oh! once more; what outrage on me and what ruin! > But never shall ye escape this rocky cave unpunished, ye > worthless creatures; for will stand in the entrance of the > cleft and fit my hands into it thus. > > Staggering to the entrance > > LEADER : Why dost thou cry out, Cyclops? > CYCLOPS : I am undone. > LEADER : Thou art indeed a sorry sight. > CYCLOPS : Aye, and a sad one, too. > LEADER : Didst fall among the coals in a drunken fit? > CYCLOPS : Noman has undone me, > LEADER : Then there is no one hurting thee after all. > CYCLOPS : Noman is blinding me. > LEADER : Then art thou not blind. > etc.... > > and ... > > ... the 'rests' in music (spaces between the notes) often add > the most dramatic aspect of the composition ... try to write > a 1-page theme on "An empty barrel makes the most noise" (a > long-time ago high school assignment ) > > OK, perhaps this OT Friday postscript is better than the ~48 > SPAM messages deleted today, but if you read this far, you > must have more than passing interest :) > Robin, I have _ALWAYS_ loved that story! Howsoever, Odysseus then goes and shoots his mouth off concerning his true name when back aboard his ship; thus garnering a near miss from a huge rock that Cyclops hurls, and being put squarely on the top of Poseidon's S-List--which adds a few years to his homeward journey! Great stuff... and certainly inspirational for SAS-L Gods, Heroes, and Heroines!

Have a memorable Memorial Day weekend all (statesiders) and best of luck in your SAS endeavors!

Of course, all of these opinions and insights are my own, and do not reflect those of my organization or my associates. All SAS code and/or methodologies specified in this posting are for illustrative purposes only and no warranty is stated or implied as to their accuracy or applicability. People deciding to use information in this posting do so at their own risk.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Michael A. Raithel "The man who wrote the book on performance" E-mail: MichaelRaithel@westat.com