Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2009, week 4)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 26 May 2009 03:25:18 -0700
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Ferret76 <sfitzpatrick76@GOOGLEMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Variable Lengths
Comments: To: sas-l@uga.edu

I run reports from a central dataset (I'll call it 'data_main' for the purposes of my query) which contains a variable client, which is set as: numeric, length 5, transcode No (in table properties). The client numbers contained within this column are between 4 & 7 characters long, but will soon be extended to 9. I am trying to see if these new client numbers will fit wihout altering the length of this variable. In testing, I entered a client number 999999999. The log showed no errors but the new table displayed 999999998. When I enter 987654321 the number comes out 987654320. Yet when the client is entered as 999999998, SAS returns the same number. Does anyone know why this is or what could be causing the inconsistency?