Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2009)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 16 Jun 2009 08:39:22 -0400
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Rebecca Stewart <restewar@psych.upenn.edu>
Subject:      Scatterplot Problems: Residual over Precited

Dear List,

Apologies for the remedial question. I am trying to look at some data to see if it is appropriate for regression. All I want is a simple plot of residuals over predicted, hoping that I'll see nothing interesting (instead of say, a fan). However, when I plot this, I get a graph I've never seen.

The graph I get is not the scatterplots I'm used to seeing but these 7 negatively sloped lines. My DV was a scale with 7 points (don't know if that's related) but I'm wondering what this means and why I'm getting this and most importantly, WHAT is this? Any advice or feedback on what I am doing wrong or what this graph is indicating (if correct) would be hugely appreciated. Maybe I am not picking the right sort of resids or preds in the dropdown menus.

I've pasted the syntax and graph below.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks! Becca

REGRESSION /MISSING LISTWISE /STATISTICS COEFF OUTS R ANOVA /CRITERIA=PIN(.05) POUT(.10) /NOORIGIN /DEPENDENT minbar /METHOD=ENTER wrkshp age avhrwk rsrtrn2 dub1 dub2 dub3 dub4 dub5 /SCATTERPLOT=(*ZRESID ,*ZPRED) /RESIDUALS NORM(ZRESID) OUTLIERS (SDRESID) /CASEWISE=ALL SDBETA /SAVE SDBETA.