Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2009)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 24 Jun 2009 17:36:50 -0400
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         "Evan Harrington, Ph.D." <eharrington@THECHICAGOSCHOOL.EDU>
Subject:      Mixed Anova with a Dichotomous DV

I'm seeking an answer to the following:

My research design involves a mixed ANOVA with a 4 level Between-Subjects variable and 3 level within-subjects variable.

I have a couple interval DVs that gave nice results, but I also have a dichotmous DV that I would very much like to analyze with the same mixed ANOVA design, and when I do I get the results I hypothesized.

I have Lunney's article from J.E.M. on using ANOVA with dichotomous DV, but after looking for other examples I have seen almost no one saying it can be done (due to the violations of the ANOVA assumptions).

My question is really: how defensible is using ANOVA with dichotomous DVs? It looks like it's working properly and although it violated the assumption of sphericity, when I examine the Greenhouse-Geisser adjustment it remains significant (p=.02). Will I be on safe grounds if I simply follow Lunney's suggestions?

Many thanks!

Evan Harrington, Ph.D.