Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2009)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 25 Jul 2009 07:15:38 -0500
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         John McConnell <jmcconnell@analyticalpeople.com>
Subject:      Re: transform rows and columns
Comments: To: David Burns <david@FEELINGGOOD.COM>

Hi David

Could you AutoRecode your String variables(words) first?

Menu: Transform|Automatic Recode

This converts strings to numerics and is really intended for situations where the string vars are effectively nominal categories e.g. Region rather than situations where the strings are [relatively] unique. It could still provide a workaround if the latter is true.

John

-----Original Message----- From: SPSSX(r) Discussion [mailto:SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of David Burns Sent: 25 July 2009 02:01 To: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: transform rows and columns

Hi everyone, I would be grateful for any help. I am trying to flip a data base, so the rows become the columns, and vice versa, in spss. However, when I follow the basic syntax, it only seems to work for numeric data. I have numbers, but also some words or dates. Is there a way to flip the rows and columns?

I can be more specific if needed.

David Burns, MD Adjunct (volunteer) Clinical Professor, Stanford University School of Medicine