Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2009)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 21 Jul 2009 09:53:16 -0400
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Dave Taber <dave@novaquant.com>
Subject:      Re: excel file issue
Comments: To: Richard Ristow <wrristow@mindspring.com>

unfortunately, the CACHE solution didn't work for me, however, I tried saving the excel file as an excel 2003 type and the problem went away -- so it seems as though the problem only happens with excel 2007 files

On Jul 19, 2009, at 2:50 AM, Richard Ristow wrote:

> At 11:54 AM 7/16/2009, Dave Taber wrote: > >> I open an Excel 2007 file with syntax in SPSS and then I save the >> file as an SPSS data file and the run additional syntax creating >> new files (with the original Excel file not being used at the end >> of the syntax). But when I try and then edit the original excel >> file in Excel I get a message saying that file is being used so it >> can't be saved. It appears as if SPSS is somehow still holding on >> to my Excel file behind the scenes. > > That may be happening as designed. Since, I think, release 12.5, > SPSS has used a 'virtual active fit' -- that is, the file you build > and run isn't saved, but the syntax to build it is, and when you > use the file again, that syntax is re-run to rebuild the file as > you need it. > > That save disk space, since you don't need a scratch disk file. But > it can well be slower; and it means SPSS has to hang onto its input > files. > > Try using 'CACHE' after you read the first file. That forces SPSS > to write a scratch file, after all, and should get it to 'let go' > of the Excel file. > > On the other hand, it's common enough for programs to hang onto > files and other resources they aren't going to use anymore. I'm not > aware of any such problem documented for SPSS, but I wouldn't > dogmatically rule it out. >

Dave Taber novaQuant listening - thinking - solving dave@novaquant.com 914.238.1310 www.novaQuant.com

[text/html]