Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2009, week 1)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 1 Jul 2009 13:58:44 -0400
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Michael Raithel <michaelraithel@WESTAT.COM>
Subject:      Re: schedule SAS job on remote server

Dear SAS-L-ers,

Tina posted the following:

> > I have a question about scheduling a SAS batch mode run. I > have SAS installed on a remote server but that server does > not have a task scheduler. My PC is Windows XP and can do > task schedule. Usually I manually connect to the remote > server from PC then run SAS on interactive mode. My question > is can I use my PC task scheduler to have SAS run on a remote > server. If it's doable, how to do it? > Tina, it would be very helpful to know what OS you have running on that remote server. If it is UNIX or Linux, then you may be fretting in vain, because you could use the crontab to schedule your SAS job. If it is Windows, then somebody has cheated you out of the Windows task manager--it should be there for you. So, are you really sure that you do not have a scheduler available for you?

If you have SAS/Connect software installed on both your PC and the remote server, you could simply schedule a batch job on your PC that would:

1. Wake up at the appointed time 2. SAS/Connect to your remote server 3. Submit a program to your remote server 4. Save the result sets and go back to sleep

If you do not have SAS/Connect, then you are going to have to get devious. Really, really, devious! You could:

1. Log into your remote server and execute a "special" SAS batch program on it 2. The "special" SAS batch program would have an infinite loop programmed into it so that it ran 24*7*365 3. Within the infinite loop, the program would check the date/time 4. At the appropriate date/time, the program would use a system command to submit the program that you wanted to have scheduled.

Now, that is breaking a half-a-dozen or so good programming practice laws, and you will likely become the victim of the programming office gossip, but, hey, when you've got a job to do; you've got a job to do!

Tina, best of luck in all of your SAS endeavors!

Of course, all of these opinions and insights are my own, and do not reflect those of my organization or my associates. All SAS code and/or methodologies specified in this posting are for illustrative purposes only and no warranty is stated or implied as to their accuracy or applicability. People deciding to use information in this posting do so at their own risk.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Michael A. Raithel "The man who wrote the book on performance" E-mail: MichaelRaithel@westat.com