Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2009, week 4)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 28 Aug 2009 01:49:16 -0400
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Mark Miller <mdhmiller@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Are SAS datasets endianness-specific?
Comments: To: Savian <savian.net@gmail.com>

SAS has always used NATIVE floating point formats which do differ between platforms (endianess & representation), notwithstanding that both platforms may use IEEE754 floating point.

Endianess MAY no longer matter with v9, but unless I am mistaken, the last version on PowerPC was v6.12 on Macintosh (still available ) which would mean that the NATIVE floating point is Big-Endian IEEE754 while all Intel hosts are Little-Endian IEEE754

Endianess did matter with SAS v6 in so far as file extensions differed between big-endian and little-endian e.g. (Big endian ) HP & SUN(Sun64, Solaris) extension was SSD01 (Little Endian 32bit ) WinTel was SSD02 (Little Endian 64bit) DEC Alpha was SSD04

I do not recall what the SAS file extension was used on the PowerMac platform (v6.12) but I believe it was binary compatible with HP & Sun (i.e. ssd01)

So the files on PowerPC and Intel are not directly interchangeable. As usual, it is possible to exchange files via SAS EXPORT format files.

... Mark Miller