Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2009, week 4)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 25 Aug 2009 13:42:26 -0400
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Paul Dorfman <sashole@BELLSOUTH.NET>
Subject:      Re: Compare words
Comments: To: Abc Unha <abcunha@YAHOO.COM>

Abc,

IndexW is designed for the purpose and is perhaps more suitable here (and faster) than incremental substringing. Consider:

data a ; infile cards dlm = "," ; input (s1 s2) (:$32.) ; cards ; one two three, four five six seven one two three, three four five three four, ten four three seven eleven, eleven seven gazillion is two plus one three, or is three plus one four in sas base has most mass, but all its mass is not base sas ; run ;

data b ; set a ; do _i = 1 by 1 ; _s = put (scan (s1, _i, ""), $32.) ; if _s = "" then leave ; count = sum (count, ^^indexw (s2, strip (_s))) ; end ; run ;

When I exploded the input data set to 6 million obs, it took SAS 9.2 to run the (_null_ed) step B in about 12 seconds under WXPro on a V9.2 garden variety office desktop. I had expected performance to be worse.

Kind regards ------------ Paul Dorfman Jax, FL ------------