Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2009)Back to main GABO-L pageJoin or leave GABO-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 22 Sep 2009 20:56:59 -0400
Sender:       Georgia Birders Online <GABO-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         David Hollie <featherbrain1223@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Sabine's Gull photos + yard birding

Just as I got all excited about having a wonderful day in the yard I came back in and read my emails and saw that there was a Sabine's Gull less than an hour away! I quickly got everything together and called a friend and rushed down there. I saw the Sabine's Gull immediately sitting out in the flooded field. We spent over an hour observing it along with Joshua Spence, Jim Flynn, and Zack Barrow (as well as both Zack's mother and my mother). It did lift off and fly around for a bit (for no apparent reason) giving us awesome looks at its amazing wing pattern! Photos of the bird can be seen here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/featherbrain1223/ <http://www.flickr.com/photos/featherbrain1223/>Before the adrenaline rush of the Sabine's Gull I got to bird around the house for a few hours. We even got a bit of sunshine! Quite a contrast to the rain/flooding we've been having over the past week or two. I did have a few notable birds, the latest yard record ever of both Cerulean Warbler and Northern Parula. Total I had 10 warbler species. The complete list is below:

Location: 0House Observation date: 9/22/09 Number of species: 43

Canada Goose 2 Chimney Swift 1 Ruby-throated Hummingbird 3 Belted Kingfisher 1 Red-headed Woodpecker 1 Red-bellied Woodpecker 1 Downy Woodpecker 1 Pileated Woodpecker 1 Eastern Wood-Pewee 5 Least Flycatcher 1 Eastern Phoebe 4 White-eyed Vireo 4 Yellow-throated Vireo 1 Red-eyed Vireo 3 Blue Jay 12 American Crow 6 Carolina Chickadee 8 Tufted Titmouse 6 Carolina Wren 6 Blue-gray Gnatcatcher 1 Eastern Bluebird 6 Veery 1 Swainson's Thrush 1 Wood Thrush 1 Gray Catbird 4 Northern Mockingbird 2 Brown Thrasher 5 Blue-winged Warbler 1 Tennessee Warbler 6 Northern Parula 1 Chestnut-sided Warbler 2 Magnolia Warbler 5 Blackburnian Warbler 2 Pine Warbler 1 Cerulean Warbler 1 Black-and-white Warbler 1 American Redstart 1 Scarlet Tanager 1 Eastern Towhee 2 Northern Cardinal 8 Rose-breasted Grosbeak 1 House Finch 1 American Goldfinch 4

David Hollie Ringgold, GA Catoosa Co. http://www.flickr.com/photos/featherbrain1223/