Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2009)Back to main GABO-L pageJoin or leave GABO-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 18 Sep 2009 12:39:48 -0700
Sender:       Georgia Birders Online <GABO-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Charlie <cmmbirds@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Night of the Living Bunting!!!

Ok, it was day, and we're glad they were all alive. But they were still scary...

Location: Joe Kurz WMA, Meriwether County Observation date: 9/18/09 Notes: Hi folks. Based on weather and history, I thought today might be a good banding day. When our first 2 net round produced one bird, I started to wonder. On the 3rd net round, only 2 nets had birds... but one of them had 37 birds! This included 33 of the buntings. All 41 of the buntings we handled were hatch year. There were many other buntings around. Number of species: 36

Wild Turkey 3 Great Egret 4 Black Vulture 5 Turkey Vulture 3 Red-tailed Hawk 1 Mourning Dove 8 Great Horned Owl 1 Barred Owl 1 Chimney Swift 15 Ruby-throated Hummingbird 2 caught a hatch-year male Red-bellied Woodpecker 1 Downy Woodpecker 2 Pileated Woodpecker 2 Eastern Phoebe 1 Eastern Kingbird 1 Also saw about 8 birds flying together which I suspect were this species. White-eyed Vireo 1 Blue Jay 12 American Crow 2 crow sp. 2 Carolina Chickadee 2 Tufted Titmouse 1 White-breasted Nuthatch 1 Brown-headed Nuthatch 2 Carolina Wren 2 Eastern Bluebird 2 Northern Mockingbird 1 Brown Thrasher 1 Pine Warbler 2 Banded one hatch-year bird Common Yellowthroat 1 banded one bird, had another escape the net. Likely several more around. Summer Tanager 1 Eastern Towhee 1 Field Sparrow 6 Banded 3 Hatch-year birds Northern Cardinal 18 Banded one hatch-year male Blue Grosbeak 3 Banded 2 hatch-year birds at same time as most of the buntings. Indigo Bunting 100 Banded 41. 34 were in one net at one time - every bunting we handled today was hatch year. There were many, many buntings not in the nets. American Goldfinch 4