Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2009)Back to main SHOREBIRDS pageJoin or leave SHOREBIRDS (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 8 Sep 2009 09:13:52 EDT
Sender:       Shorebird Discussion Group <SHOREBIRDS@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Pete Myers <JPMyers@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Sand-plover in Virginia

A sand-plover, most likely greater, appeared in Virginia 2 days ago near Staunton, about 40 minutes west of Charlottesville (where I live). It was in a muddy pond behind this Day's Inn motel: Days Inn Business Place Hotel 273 Bells Ln # D Staunton, VA 24401-9013

Here's a link to images: http://www.birdsofvirginia.com/GalleryPages/Sandplover_Galary.html

I saw it yesterday, along with a lot of other people. Debate still underway about whether it is a lesser or greater sand-plover. Some people heard its flight song (I didn't). Does anyone on this list know where there are online recordings of the two species?

Best wishes, Pete Myers