Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2009)Back to main SHOREBIRDS pageJoin or leave SHOREBIRDS (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 8 Sep 2009 17:18:43 +0200
Sender:       Shorebird Discussion Group <SHOREBIRDS@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Gyorgy Szimuly <gyorgy.szimuly@MAC.COM>
Subject:      Re: Sand-plover in Virginia
Comments: To: BirdChat <BIRDCHAT@LISTSERV.ARIZONA.EDU>

Looking at the images we have a feeling this is rather a Lesser Sand Plover. The shape of relative fine bill, the size compared to Semipalmated Plover and the Sandpiper would suggest this bird as a Lesser SP. There are tricky birds for sure where features overlap between Greater and Lesser Sand Plover but I would not exclude LSP possibility based on the images.

Cheers, Szimi -------- Gyorgy Szimuly Tata, Hungary, Europe skype: szimistyle.com web: http://web.me.com/gyorgy.szimuly/SzimiStyles_Birding_Experience_EN/Blog/Blog.html

Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2009 21:20:58 -0400 From: Gail Mackiernan <katahdinss@COMCAST.NET> Subject: Sand-plover in Virginia

Hi --

This has not been posted to Birdchat, but a Sand-plover -- which many are now considering a Greater, although the final verdict is not in -- was found yesterday and continued today until dark in Staunton, Virginia just off I-81. If it proves to be a Greater S-P. this would only be the 3rd US record.

It is frequenting a farm pond behind a Day's Inn just off the interstate!

Details, directions and links to photos can be seen on the VA-Birds list accessed through Jack Siler's web site at http://birdingonthe.net.

Gail Mackiernan Silver Spring, MD

BirdChat Guidelines: http://www.ksu.edu/audubon/chatguidelines.html Archives: http://listserv.arizona.edu/archives/birdchat.html