Date:         Fri, 2 Oct 2009 08:35:35 -0700
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         "Jeff J. Voeller" <SAS-Programmer@WYWH.COM>
Subject:      Re: ODS tagsets.excelxp: Is it possible not to display column
              names and to switch off text wrapping for all cells of a column?
Comments: cc: alexander.konn@IEA-DPC.DE

On Friday 10/02/2009 at 7:47 AM Alex wrote:

> Thanks to some very helpful suggestions from some SAS-L'ers I > have become a big fan of the ODS tagset ExcelXP. > > Some things I still can't get done though.

Let me start by saying that I'm a 20 year SAS user who greatly appreciates what the ODS ExcelXP tagset can do. I've done some very useful stuff with it that's made my users happy and I'm not trying to criticize SAS here.

But in the last year or so I've come to realize that if you really need to do odd/difficult/obscure things with Excel output, you get a lot more fine-grained control with Perl and the Spreadsheet-WriteExcel module. In fact, it's probably fair to say that you have that fine-grained cell-level control using Perl whether you want it or not, which is one reason SAS is a *lot* friendlier if you only need to produce reasonably standard Excel output.

I realize that Perl is not an option for everyone and this may not be practical advice for your situation, but I mention it because "weird" Excel is perhaps the *only* thing I've encountered in all this time where I feel Perl has the advantage over SAS.

http://search.cpan.org/dist/Spreadsheet-WriteExcel/