Date:         Thu, 1 Oct 2009 19:16:51 -0700
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Jack Hamilton <jfh@STANFORDALUMNI.ORG>
Subject:      Re: ODS tagsets.excelxp: What is possible and what not?
Comments: To: Alex <alexander.konn@IEA-DPC.DE>

You can do most of that, but in some cases you'll have to create a sheet yourself instead of having SAS do it for you.

-- Jack Hamilton jfh@alumni.stanford.org Tots units fem força!

On Oct 1, 2009, at 8:36 am, Alex wrote:

> Hi everyone, > > Today I looked into ODS markup for the first time and tried to figure > out whether I could fulfill my current task with ODS tagsets.excelxp. > I read through the help text that I generated with "ods > tagsets.excelxp options ( doc = 'help' ) ;" and my impression is that > I can't fulfill my requirements like this. My alternative to using ODS > would be to create a basic xls workbook without the fancy stuff > described below and then format this using VB.Net or C#. But I would > much prefer to solve this in SAS. > > Here's what I need to do: > - Create one Excel workbook containing dozens of sheets, each one > containing the cells from a SAS data set

OK

> - Create table of contents sheets for subsets of data sets which > belong together. These special sheets must contain one row per sheet > belonging to the subset, a hyperlink to every sheet of the subset, and > the row count for every sheet. It should look more or less like this: > SHEET_NAME, ROW_COUNT, LINK, ... <more columns> > Sheet1, 25, <Link>, ...<more values> > Sheet2, 13, <Link>, ...<more values>

This is not clear to me, but you can do that by keeping track of the contents yourself and putting them into a data set.

> - One overall toc sheet linking to the several toc sheets for the > subsets

You can do that. It's probably best to do it manually - I've never been happy with the automatic TOCs.

> - Every "normal" sheet (not the toc sheets) must contain a header > above the data values which has to span across multiple lines and must > contain a hyperlink to the toc sheet for its subset

This one might be difficult.

> - Some columns in the "normal" sheets must be hidden

I don't remember whether it works, but you could try setting the column width to 0.

> - several color, formatting and highlighting requirements...

You can't do everything you could possibly think of, but you can do quite a bit.

> Now how would you guys solve this? Any ideas will greatly be > appreciated!

You might want to look at this:

http://www.sascommunity.org/wiki/Creating_Summary_and_Detail_Sections_in_an_Excel_Worksheet_Using_the_ExcelXP_Tagset

It doesn't directly answer your questions, but you might get some ideas.