Date:         Mon, 5 Oct 2009 09:35:24 -0700
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         "Richard A. DeVenezia" <rdevenezia@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Best way to rearrange dyadic data
Comments: To: sas-l@uga.edu

On Oct 2, 9:48 am, peterflomconsult...@mindspring.com (Peter Flom) wrote: > Good morning all > > It's been a while since I've asked a question :-) > > Before posting this one, I searched SAS-L and found similar questions (including some by me!) but I also found advice that each case is a little different.... so... > > I have a data set with data on heterosexual couples. Currently, each line is an indvidual, and there are ~1000 variables. Each line includes > > COUPLE - which is the couple ID > ID - which is the individual's ID > SEX - which is the individual's sex > many many other variables, e.g. marital status. So, it looks something like this > --------------------------------------- > DATA HAVE > Couple ID Sex A11 > 10260 10261 Male Single, Never Married > 10260 10262 Female Widowed > 10380 10381 Male Married > 10380 10382 Female Married > 10280 10281 Male Married > 10280 10282 Female Married

For data integrity reasons, you may want to have two tables

PERSONS PersonId, PersonAttribute1 .. PersonAttributeN

and HETERO_COUPLES CoupleId, MalePersonId, FemalePersonId, HeteroCoupleAttribute1, ... HeteroCoupleAttributeN

For long term data systems, a person attribute such as birthdate will not change over the lifetime of the person, so that can go in the PERSONS table. However, things like addresses are apt to change, so you may think about 'asof' attribute tables to factor in time variant attributes PERSON_PREMISES PersonId, AsOfDate, Street, City, Zip

These tables would be indexed and appropriately foreign keyed. Views would be used to join the base data into layout constructs needed to perform your analytics.

You might also want to consider the coupling data in a transactional way and have fields DATE and EVENT to record when certain milestones occur MET, ENGAGE, DIVORCE, etc...

-- Richard A. DeVenezia