Date:         Mon, 5 Oct 2009 19:27:34 -0400
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         "Kirby, Ted" <ted.kirby@LEWIN.COM>
Subject:      PROC SQL Error

I have a very large dataset, FinalEpisodes2 (70.5 GB with binary compression, 182 million observations and 199 variables). I deleted 55.5 million observations from the dataset, but the size on disk did not change. Then I attempted to delete 9 of the variables with this code: proc sql; alter table ep.FinalEpisodes2 drop LTCH, SNF, IRF, HHA, STACH, LTCHAll, oldlb, oldnep, oldet; quit; When I tried to delete these variables, I received a bunch of SAS errors. See the log below:

NOTE: Remote submit to QLEWSAS2 commencing.

17 proc sql;

18 alter table ep.FinalEpisodes2

19 drop LTCH, SNF, IRF, HHA, STACH, LTCHAll,oldlb,oldnep,oldet;

ERROR: Permanent copy of file EP.SQ_1.DATA was deleted.

ERROR: Permanent copy of file EP.SQ_1.DATA was deleted.

Invalid free() attempt to deleted pool

Traceback

SASTBTraceBackCtx has been called with a

string ("vacrash") instead of a CONTEXT pointer.

Address Frame (DBGHELP API Version 4.0 rev 5)

5C8D1FCD 01A0EE60 tkmk:tkBoot+0x20FA9

5C8D1DCF 01A0EE6C tkmk:tkBoot+0x20DAB

5C8C8236 01A0EE8C tkmk:tkBoot+0x17212

00FF78E3 01A0EEAC sashost:Main+0xD0C53

00F2D974 01A0EECC sashost:Main+0x6CE4

00F21A33 01A0EF24 sashost:rtmdoit+0x1DF

00F3D0B2 01A0EF38 sashost:Main+0x16422

00F3A5B6 01A0EF54 sashost:Main+0x13926

678F25ED 01A0EF98 sasyh:mcn_main+0x15ED

671A1A25 01A0F2C0 sasyoio:mcn_main+0xA25

6004EE2D 01A0FEA0 sassqlu:mcn_main+0x1DE2D

02AB333F 01A0FF58 sassqx:mcn_main+0x2233F

600D118A 01A0FF8C sassql:mcn_main+0x18A

00F32B02 01A0FFA4 sashost:Main+0xBE72

00F36C10 01A0FFB8 sashost:Main+0xFF80

77E64829 01A0FFEC kernel32:GetModuleHandleA+0xDF

ERROR: User asked for termination

NOTE: The SAS System stopped processing this step because of errors.

NOTE: PROCEDURE SQL used (Total process time):

real time 1:28:31.88

cpu time 34:41.43

NOTE: SAS Institute Inc., SAS Campus Drive, Cary, NC USA 27513-2414

NOTE: The SAS System used:

real time 5:16:43.25

cpu time 1:12:29.39

NOTE: Remote submit to QLEWSAS2 complete.

Now there is a dataset in the folder called "sq_1.sas7bdat" This dataset is mentioned in the error code above. It appears that this dataset may be the dataset I was trying to create. It has the same number of observations as the 70.6 GB dataset (i.e., 182 million minus 55.5 million) and the number of variables in would be consistent with deleting the 9 variables that I had intended to delete (i.e., it has 190 variables). Furthermore, it is "only" 48 GB in size. Does anybody know what happened? Is it safe to use the "sq_1" dataset since it appears to be what I wanted? I am running SAS 9.1.3 on Windows XP professional as is the SAS Server to which I remotely submitted this code. Thanks for any help you can give.

************* IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ ********************

This e-mail, including attachments, may include confidential and/or proprietary information, and may be used only by the person or entity to which it is addressed. If the reader of this e-mail is not the intended recipient or his or her authorized agent, the reader is hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender by replying to this message and delete this e-mail immediately.