Date:         Wed, 7 Oct 2009 08:54:54 -0500
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Joe Matise <snoopy369@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Convert month variable from character to numeric using 9.1
Comments: To: JC <jencline10@gmail.com>

The MONYY. informat should read it in, if you append a year to it (either 2 or 4 digit).

So:

newvar = input(cats(monvar,'09'),MONYY5.); should do it. This assumes that it's stored as a character variable (format $3. or similar). Of course it gives it a 2009 year, you may choose a different one as your needs require [but you DO need to choose one].

Example:

data test; input monvar $; datalines; JAN FEB MAR DEC ;;;; run;

data want; set test; format numvar MONYY5.; numvar = input(cats(monvar,'09'),MONYY5.); run; proc print; run;

-Joe