Date:         Wed, 7 Oct 2009 14:33:57 -0500
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Robin R High <rhigh@UNMC.EDU>
Subject:      Re: a question in PROC GENMOD
Comments: To: wei yi <wy78712@YAHOO.COM>

An easy way would be to make a format and then apply it as in the GENMOD code below. Or you can automate it my making a format with a DATA step from the output of a sorted sas dataset, with the "illustrative" example (only), where age (hazard) groups are sorted from low to high on a randomly generated characteristic (premium), for which the highest average value will serve as the reference age category:

data cls; set sashelp.class; xyz = 5+rannor(929);

proc means data=cls noprint nway; class age; var xyz; output out=new(drop= _: ) mean=m_xyz; run;

proc sort; by m_xyz;

proc print; run;

* make a numeric format sorted by mean value of xyz and attach the actual age to it ;

DATA ctrl; length label $8 ; SET new end=eof; KEEP start label fmtname type hlo; RETAIN fmtname 'ag' type 'n'; start=age; label = CATT(put(_n_, z2.),'_',put(age,2.)); output; RUN;

PROC PRINT data=ctrl NOobs; RUN;

proc format cntlin=ctrl; run;

proc genmod data=sashelp.class order=formatted ; class age; model height = age ; lsmeans age; format age ag. ; run;

From: wei yi <wy78712@YAHOO.COM> To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Date: 10/07/2009 11:01 AM Subject: a question in PROC GENMOD Sent by: "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>

When I conducted "proc genmod ......" in SAS, is there a way that I can set the level with the highest amount $ as a base level? I know how to set the level with the most frequcy as base level. I just want to know whether I could write the command to set the highest amount as the base level. for exam, I have a class varialble called hazard group 1 to 4, then I wanted to set the hazard group with highest premium as the base level, is there an easy way to do it?

thanks, Vivian