Date:         Thu, 1 Oct 2009 09:58:40 -0500
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         "Data _null_;" <iebupdte@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: How to add a column with order(1,2,3...) like obs in print?
Comments: To: demin <qdmiris@gmail.com>

To me the "best" method is to choose a tool that knows SAS, knows what an SAS enumerated variable list is and how it should most logically be ordered. That tool is PROC CONTENTS.

data q; attrib q12P3R1 Q12P3R10 Q12P3r2 Q12P3R3 length=8; stop; run; proc contents order=ignorecase noprint out=names(keep=name); run; proc print; run;

proc sql noprint; select name into :orderedList separated by ' ' from names; quit; run; %put NOTE: ORDEREDLIST=&orderedList;

On 10/1/09, demin <qdmiris@gmail.com> wrote: > Because I did something and made the order of my table has been > changed, so I would like to add a order column to keep the old order. > How to add such column with order 1,2,3...? > > Actually the column is character type, like : > Q12P3R1 > Q12P3R10 ? shis should be placed on the last one, but > Q12P3R2 > Q12P3R3 > ... > ?Q12P3R10 should be placed on the last one, but by "proc sql select > *... order by ..." till cannot get the order I want. how to solve > this? thanks. >