Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2009)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 17 Nov 2009 14:04:07 -0700
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Jon K Peck <peck@us.ibm.com>
Subject:      Re: SPSS Macro Variables
Comments: To: Richard Ristow <wrristow@mindspring.com>

See below. Jon Peck SPSS, an IBM Company peck@us.ibm.com 312-651-3435

From: Richard Ristow <wrristow@mindspring.com> To: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Date: 11/17/2009 01:57 PM Subject: Re: [SPSSX-L] SPSS Macro Variables Sent by: "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>

At 03:21 PM 11/16/2009, Michael W. Bates wrote:

>I'm a 10 year SAS user who's fairly new to SPSS. I and importing 5 >excel files with dates in the filename, and would like to be able to >change the date once in my code and import all 5 files. > >define !import1 () 'D:\Reports\Daily\Production File 1 Nov 16 2009.xls' ! >enddefine. > >I would like to the 'Nov 16' once and concatenate that with the rest >of the macro variables, so I don't have to make 5 changes. SPSS >doesn't seem to like it when I try to define a separate macro >variable for the 'Nov 16'.

OK, here's the shock for SAS macro users: a) You can't create or assign a value to a macro variable except within a macro b) Macro variables do not persist after the macro they belong to. They are not available in another macro.

>>> But you can use the !EVAL function to evaluate a macro within a macro. That might solve the problem here.

The standard SPSS solution is to make the date string an argument to the macro. I'd love to work that out, and may in a bit, but I'm both rusty and pressed for time.

>>> But a better solution is to use Python programmability, which is much more powerful and flexible and has none of these problems.

Regards, Jon Peck

-Best of luck, Richard