Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2009)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 18 Dec 2009 10:59:53 -0600
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         SPSS Support <spsssupt@us.ibm.com>
Subject:      Re: SPSS Proactive Notification - SPSS Statistics 18.0.1 Patch
              Availability Notice

Hi Michael,

I believe this is the first note we've seen come across the list reporting a problem installing the patch. I checked our case tracking system and there was no case in the system for you regarding this issue, so I've opened a case. We'll need to get specifics on the error you're getting and your machine specifications to track down what might be happening here.

David Nichols SPSS, an IBM Company

From: Michael Kruger <aa3657@wayne.edu> To: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Date: 12/18/2009 06:32 AM Subject: Re: SPSS Proactive Notification - SPSS Statistics 18.0.1 Patch Availability Notice Sent by: "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>

It would be nice if someone from IBM(SPSS) would reply to some of the issues and concerns people in the listserv are voicing. I tried to apply the patch to an 18.0 install on my laptop that has an AMD Dual-Core CPU (Turon, I believe) and received a message that the 'install was not supported on this machine's processor' or something to that effect. I submitted a 'case' to SPSS support over a week ago and have never received a reply. I realize that there will likely be changes with the IBM acquisition. But I think IBM should realize that a lot of people use SPSS not only in their work but in teaching and subsequently the students in those classes become SPSS users and will help the bottom line for IBM. As people begin to adopt alternative software packages (SAS, S-Plus, STATA, R,etc), the company loses potential revenue. These annual upgrades, often creating more time consuming installation problems relative to the obtuse improvements in features make the product less and less attractive to me as a user and educator.

Michael Kruger Statistical Analayst & Instructor Dept. of OB/GYN Wayne State University School of Medicine